Sunday 31 August 2014

Road bike for commuting

So I messed up a wheel when trying to true it.

Bugger.

Having looked at the cost of replacing the wheel on eBay I decided that as much as I like the Emmelle and plan on commuting on it I don't want to keep throwing money at the bike. Really it is meant to just be a work pony. Which brings up a dilemma on what to do. Fortunately my Raleigh is a bike I'd like to put a bit more money too so I hatched a plan.

First I took the wheels off the Raleigh. This was actually more tricky than it should have been and I still don't understand why. Probably because I was doing this using frenetic energy!

Then I took the wheels off the Emmelle.

Thirdly I put the Raleigh wheels on the Emmelle. This was the easiest part of the job.

Forthly I moved the light brackets onto the Emmelle and voila it is now ready for commuting.

Quick pump up of the tires and a trial ride around the block and job is a good 'en.

Hopefully the cycle to work scheme comes through at work. This is a scheme that allows you to buy a bike up to a thousand pounds using a loan from your employer. You then pay the bike off in small chunks from each months pay. The true bonus of this is that the cost is without paying VAT which means you can get a better bike for your cash. If this comes through then great because I can get a very nice road bike for commuting but if it doesn't then no danger as the Emmelle is now functional.

This is great because when I cycled to my old job I loved the way it woke you up and made you more alert for when you started your day. Plus it is always nice to have done some exercise at both ends of your day. I have bobbed in on my bike to my current work and it isn't a bad ride. What is nice though is that I can ride a long way home when I can and have a great post day workout ride.

Outstanding!

Now all I have to save up for is some new wheels for the Raleigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment