Thursday 21 August 2014

Boxing a bike...

So I managed to sell the road bike I had part restored however the buyer wanted to arrange a courier service to collect it.

Fair play so I headed down to Halfords and collected a bike box which they were only to happy to get rid of.

Once back home I took the wheels off. So far so good. Dropped the handle bars and then tried to take the pedals off.

Now I have managed to loose my pedal spanner which makes this job difficult to start with. Added to the fact the pedals have been on the bike forever and there was no budging. Just lots of swearing.

Giving that up as a bad job I manipulated the bike into the box and then had to cut the box in order to accommodate the pedals. A liberal application of bubble wrap and some jigging to fit the wheels in. Lots of tape to seal the box and done.

The day of the pick up came and I had an opticians appointment early. The buyer hasn't told me what time the pick up might be so I presumed it would be later rather than earlier. Got back to find I'd missed the pick up.

More swearing.

Called the courier (3 times). Eventually got the bike collected and gone.

Now I'm not selling bikes to make a lot of money. Mostly just as a little project and also to give me something to practice repairs on.

However I don't think I ever want to go through the hassle of this again. Yet the buyer was in London which if I am to be selling more bikes will be the closest big market for the bikes. So I might have to lump it in order to shift them at a decent price.

Tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment