Tuesday 2 September 2014

Swinley Forest Mountain Biking

I have half a day left until the dreaded return to school. The fact I am a teacher and this is a career choice does nothing to lesson the blow of the impending end of holidays. Holiday blues are very much a thing and very hard to shake.

One way is lots of food, drink and good company. That was the weekend and it was epic even if I did over indulge on Jura!

Another way is carpe diem with the time left. Yesterday I spent half the day in school arranging tables for the new term (rock and roll) and the other half of the day bumbling down the m25 with Geoff to hit Swinley Forest.

Geoff has ridden Swinely a few times and my mate Roy lives near there and keeps trying to get me to head over. I have to say I was very impressed.

The parking, whilst very busy, was also much cheaper than our local single track centre of Bedgebury running at £4 for the day. The blue route which seems to be the biggest and the basis of swinly is very good.

Now it is worth mentioning here that it rained on the way to Swinley (near Bracknell) and the blue route is mostly small pebbles in the ground. As a surface I hate it because you can feel the tires popping and skipping in a similar fashion to I can imagine pave feeling like.

However the added rain meant that it was very treacherous so whilst the blue route is not ridiculously fast it is very tricky with the wheels bouncing all over. Even more challenging when wet. Yet it is a very enjoyable and accessible blue route.

Where Swinley really seems to come to life is its red route. This is phenomenal and some of the best single track I have ridden. This includes the mountain centres in Wales too. One of the best things is there is a clear distinction between blue and red. Which is a bit of a bug bear if mine when places only really change grading due to length of track rather than difficulty.

On to the route.

It is fast, tight and challenging without ever feeling overly dangerous. It is very well designed and mixes flowing sections with tight twisty technical ones. As I said there isn't loads of danger but the angles of berms, the drops and narrow trees certainly get the pulse racing and keep you on your toes.

I had a great time and we blitzed it in just over 1hr30 meaning if you were inclined you could easily repeat it all in a morning or afternoon.

If you get the chance to head there I would certainly recommend it and of you find it too simple wait until there has been a bit of rain and go back.

The ride can be found here if you wish to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment