Wednesday 3 September 2014

The daily commute by road bike.

OK so this is very early doors but a few quick things I have learnt from commuting by bike. Firstly that my gears are not quick 100% indexed meaning that they take a little to slot in.

This does not sound like too much of an issue but when your trying to get to work without anything breaking any odd sound can make you nervous.

Secondly I've learnt that I can't judge performance at all. I felt that going to work I was slower than when I'd biked the route previously. I felt a similar thing on the way home. However looking at Strava my speed and times were not too bad at all. Plus I even set a few new pbs on some segments.

In addition to those two things I know that some roads on my route are both rubbish and busy. Not a great combination. Also that extra filing cabinets are perfect places to stow your gear during the day!

I have also realised that some people are just knobs. A guy on a mountain bike was loudly breaking behind me while I slowed for a red light. He then pulled a wheely as he ran the red light and proceeded to ride on the pavement. Utter knob, and he wasn't wearing a helmet.

My rides can be found here and here.

The next step is to get this commute done regularly. I feel that this means the gym might have to take a hit this year.

That however isn't the end of the world though.

No comments:

Post a Comment