Tuesday 22 July 2014

What makes a good road?

Slightly longer but there are many things that make a decent/good road for riding.


  1. Smooth tarmac - otherwise you spend your life dodging pot holes.
  2. A difficulty curve that challenges you but does not slay you - otherwise it is too easy or too hard both are not very satisfying.
  3. A good view or lush scenery - need I add more?
  4. Fairly free of traffic - otherwise you spend you life holding your breath hoping they give you enough room.
I have not fully explored Kent yet - I am sure there are some great rides out there - but my favourite place to ride is up at my parents. Just beyond Rugeley and off over Cannock Chase. Lots of long and fun hills, decent descents and most importantly some amazing views and scenery.

Plus what really helps is the road surfaces are normally pristine. Or at least the ones I have ridden are.

Cannock is getting a reputation as a bit of a mountain bike mecca but I do recommend it for roadie friends as well. It is worth a trip. Especially if you manage to take in the rolling roads around Uttoxeter and the stunning descent and ascent around Blithfield Reservoir as well.  

The descent down to Blithfield Reservoir is fast and stunning.

The road down and up from Birches Valley Forestry Centre - THE place to go mountain biking in the West Midlands - is an amazing place to open up on your road bike. 

One of my favourite things about Cannock Chase is the rolling hills, large gains in speed and elevation meaning you can be in sunshine before dropping through layers of mist onto the valley floor. 


So if you get the chance to visit this area of Staffordshire I fully recommend latching your road bike to the car and having an explore. There are lots of cafes and forestry centres up on Cannock Chase to call in at for a refuel.

Above all else though, it has some of the best roads I have ridden yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment